HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, ENGLAND, November 19, 2012 /24-7PressRelease/ -- There is often an air of excitement surrounding the winter months, especially in the build-up to the Christmas holiday. However, it is essential that in and amongst the excitement of the festivities that people do not neglect the dangers that winter conditions present to road users. As a result, Injury Claim Specialists are urging everyone to keep safety in mind when taking to the roads.
In 2010 more than 18,000 road accidents were caused in Great Britain by snowy/icy conditions. This highlights the need for motorists to take care in the winter and ensure that they aren't involved in an accident that could have been easily avoided.
Just by altering your driving style slightly in icy and reduced visibility conditions you could drastically reduce your chances of being involved in a road accident. Consequently, Injury Claim Specialists have constructed a number of driving safety tips to help keep drivers safe over the winter period and particularly in icy conditions:
1. Leave a far greater distance than usual between you and the car in front.
2. Brake earlier and always apply them gently.
3. Reduce your speed and only drive faster if it's safe and you are in full control of the vehicle.
4. Purchase a set of cold weather tyres or snow chains.
5. Leave the house earlier and plan for your journey to take longer than usual.
6. Put your lights on in times of reduced visibility to ensure that other cars can see you.
7. Clear your windows and roof of any snow or ice before you begin your journey.
8. Plan routes to use major roads that are likely to have been gritted during icy periods.
9. If you skid, apply the clutch and turn the wheel into the direction of the skid. Don't brake as you will skid further.
10. If you don't have to drive in adverse conditions, then avoid doing so.
If you follow these rules and drive responsibly during the winter you will reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident. However, accidents are sometimes unavoidable and caused through no fault of our own. Therefore if you sustain an injury due to the negligence of someone else which could have been prevented, log on to the Injury Claim Specialists road accidents page for free, easy to understand injury claims advice.
Injury Claim Specialists is one of the UK's leading personal injury advice websites. We pride ourselves on offering easy to understand, plain English injury claims advice on a wide range of different injury related topics. There are also a number of extremely useful tools such as the Compensation Calculator, which can give you a compensation estimate in less than a second, and the Injury Claims Guide is at hand to answer all of your personal injury related questions.
Log on to http://www.injuryclaimspecialists.com for more information.
Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com