TEDDINGTON, ENGLAND, May 31, 2009 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Fly-drive holidays to North America this summer with Alamo Rent A Car won't cost the earth with Alamo's tips for a greener and more fuel efficient car rental experience.
"Travellers to the US and Canada will be looking to maximise their spend this year so we are offering some top tips to drivers on how they can get maximum miles to the gallon" explains Phil Eaton, Vice President at Alamo Rent A Car. "These tips, along with our new Gold Plus product which includes a GPS, 3 additional drivers and a full tank of fuel in one package, makes the American road trip easier on the pocket and the planet."
ALAMO'S TOP TIPS FOR GREENER MOTORING
- Don't rent more car than you need - the smaller the car the more fuel efficient. Alamo also has the most fuel efficient fleet of rental cars in the US so you can alternatively choose a larger car that meets higher environmental standards.
- Pack your suitcase - then remove half. We all tend to over-pack allowing for scenarios that never transpire. Keeping your luggage load lighter reduces fuel consumption.
- You're on holiday - slow down! Keeping your speed and RPMs down and accelerating gently uses less fuel.
- Plan ahead. Plan your excursions to combine smaller trips into one larger one where possible to reduce pollution and fuel costs. Renting a GPS unit from Alamo will help
- Use the right fuel. Most cars don't need premium fuel so check what your rental vehicle needs to maximise fuel efficiency.
- Avoid topping the tank above the gas pump's automatic cut-off point. It can lead to spills and release gas vapours wasting your money and polluting the air.
- Check your tyre pressure. Keeping tyres inflated to their optimum level helps maintain maximum fuel efficiency.
- Give the brake a break. Avoid slamming on the brakes by anticipating slowdowns and keeping acceleration moderate. Both will save fuel
- Think on before cooling off. Rolling down the windows and switching off the AC improves economy at slower speeds but does the opposite at high speeds.
Phil Eaton concludes, "This list represents a range of initiatives to help customers save fuel whilst doing their bit for the environment. In addition, for an extra $1.25 per rental, customers can contribute to Alamo's certified carbon offset project that works to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. And from this year, Alamo customers travelling to North America will have access to the world's largest fleet of FlexFuel vehicles. With a fleet including around 9,000 gas/electric hybrid vehicles, Alamo - along with its partners Enterprise Rent A Car and National Car Rental - offer travellers more green options than any other car rental company today."
About Alamo Rent A Car
Founded in 1974 and headquartered in St. Louis, Alamo Rent A Car is a service and value-oriented, internationally recognised brand serving the daily rental needs of leisure travelers worldwide. Alamo offers low rates, all-inclusive products and a hassle-free customer experience at the most popular travel destinations around the globe. A global strategic alliance with Europcar makes it part of the world's largest car rental network.
A technology innovator and industry leader, Alamo launched the industry's first real-time Internet booking engine in 1995 and the industry's first and only online car rental check-in system in 2005. Alamo currently operates 159 self-service kiosks at 65 US locations earning the company the "Extra Mile Award" from Budget Travel magazine in 2007.
Alamo is the official rental car partner to Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.
Booking car rental is easy at http://www.alamo.co.uk. Designed specifically for UK travellers, http://www.alamo.co.uk allows customers to book car rental anywhere in the world in four simple steps.