Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller, announced that Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com) kicked off the online holiday shopping season on Cyber Monday, November 26. Customers selected many items from Barnes & Noble’s 2007 Holiday Gift Catalog, which contains the season’s books, CDs, DVDs, calendars, gift items, toys, and video-games at up to 40% off list price.
Cyber Monday kicked off special Barnes & Noble.com promotional offers. They include a free travel bag with a $75 purchase and up to 50% off certain DVDs.
Some of the most popular products sold on Cyber Monday at Barnes & Noble.com included:
- Shoppers can’t seem to get enough of Stephen Colbert, making his book, I Am America (and so Can You!), one of the year’s bestsellers.
- My So-Called Life – The Complete Series was a hit, dominating DVD sales and planting smiles on Claire Danes fans as they unwrap their presents on Christmas morning.
- The unlikely pairing of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss proved genius, with music enthusiasts propelling the Raising Sand collaboration to the top of the CD buying lists.
- Nintendo Wii lovers throughout the country are welcoming the new era of gaming this season with Super Mario Galaxy, the bestselling video-game on the list.
- Kids and geography buffs alike are making the entertaining and educational Scrambled States of America a top-selling game.
- The first eight seasons of Seinfeld and dozens of movie favorites were among the bestselling DVD titles, which were 50% off.
The most popular searches over the holiday weekend and on Cyber Monday were:
- The 2007 series Planet Earth was one of the most-searched-for items, proving that the environment is top of mind for shoppers this season.
- Alicia Keys, Josh Groban, James Taylor, Carrie Underwood and Celine Dion were among the most popular musicians searched.
- Searches for Hairspray, the hit Broadway musical turned film, found itself amid good company this year. Other highly searched movies included Transformers, Star Wars and Ratatouille.
Barnes & Noble.com customers can place orders as late as December 18th and receive delivery by the 24th and still take advantage of free shipping when purchasing orders of $25 or more via “Fast & Free Delivery.” Orders placed by noon EST on December 20th using Next Day Air will arrive by December 24th. For customers in Manhattan, the popular Same Day Delivery service is also available through December 22nd; orders placed by 11 a.m. will be delivered by 7 p.m. that day.
(NOTE TO EDITORS: High-Resolution Images and Online Screen Grabs Are Available)
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 801 bookstores in 50 states. For the fourth year in a row, the company is the nation’s top bookseller brand, as determined by a brand’s overall strength based on its combination of familiarity, quality and purchase intent, according to the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive®. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company’s corporate website: http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com.