Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller, will open a new bookstore on October 25 in Green Oak Village Place at 9605 Village Place Boulevard, Brighton, Michigan. The store will stock close to 200,000 book, music, DVD and magazine titles and include a café serving Starbucks coffee. The new Brighton Barnes & Noble will be open from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day, and employ approximately 60 people from the community.
The public is invited to a Preview Night Party at the new Brighton Barnes & Noble on Tuesday, October 24, from 6 to 9 p.m. A portion of the Preview Night sales will benefit the Hawkins Elementary School. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. with members of the Green Oak Charter Township board. Local jazz band Stolen Moments will perform throughout the evening.
In celebration of the Brighton Barnes & Noble’s Grand Opening, the store will host a series of author events:
- On October 25 at 11 a.m., Erik Smith, WXYZ-TV news anchor, will sign copies of his book, From the Heart. At 6 p.m., Carol McCloud will sign copies of her book, Have You Filled a Bucket Today?
- On October 26 at noon, Monte Nagler will sign copies of his book, Monte Nagler’s Michigan.
- On October 27 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., Devin Scillian, WDIV-TV news anchor, will sign copies of his children’s books, including his most recent title, H is for Honor.
- On October 28 from noon to 2 p.m., Joseph “PaleoJoe” Kchodl, author of the Dinosaur Detective Club series, will sign copies of his books. From 3 to 5 p.m., Darrin and Karen Brege, authors of The Chill Art Sketchbook and Mick Morris Myth Solver series, will host drawing and craft activities for children.
Barnes & Noble’s bookselling innovations have established it as America’s top retail brand for quality. For the fifth year in a row, the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive® named Barnes & Noble number-one in quality among the country’s retail brands. The new store will feature:
- The Barnes & Noble Membership Program. Designed for Barnes & Noble’s best customers, this program gives Members an additional 10 percent off virtually every item in Barnes & Noble stores and online at Barnes & Noble.com. The annual fee is $25.
- Rapid special-order service. Can’t find it on the shelf? Barnes & Noble’s massive warehouse inventory is available in real-time, enabling its booksellers to order and confirm the availability of over one million titles at the click of a button.
- Large-scale children’s departments. Bigger than most typical bookstores and stocking over 15,000 titles in an easy-to-browse environment, “Barnes & Noble Jr.” departments are designed to appeal to children, parents, teachers and librarians. Children’s story hours will be held three times a week.
- Advanced technology music-listening system. The store’s music department will feature RedDotNet, the most advanced listening technology. RedDotNet enables customers to listen to any CD in the store, sampling up to 200,000 music titles by simply passing it under a scanner. Connected to the company’s online electronic music catalog, the store’s listening stations make “browsing with your ears” a reality.
- Giant Newsstand. The store’s newsstand stocks over 2,000 titles, including hundreds of hard-to-find specialty magazines and out-of-town newspapers.
- Wi-Fi Service. AT&T Wi-FiSM service allows customers to use their laptop computers and personal digital assistants anywhere in the store or café to communicate online, surf the Internet and connect to corporate networks at speeds 50 to 100 times as fast as a dial-up connection. A single two-hour session costs $3.95, and an annual membership with unlimited access to Barnes & Noble and more than 10,700 AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots is available for $19.95 per month (with a one year commitment).
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 799 bookstores in 50 states. For the fifth year in a row, the company is the nation's top retail brand for quality, according to the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive®. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites and the number one online bookseller for quality among e-commerce companies, according to the latest EquiTrend survey.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate Web site: http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com.