As government leaders begin the fiscally constrained new year with considerations about how to save money and streamline business processes, Booz Allen has developed a template for creating greater effectiveness and efficiency within the U.S. government. Today, Booz Allen announces the release of “Reimagining Government: How US Federal Leaders Can Modernize Their Agencies to Meet Critical Mission Objectives and Customer Expectations.”
Reimagining Government serves as a guide, based on real-world illustrations, to help key decision-makers devise new ways to deliver services and perform mission activities at lower costs while maintaining quality.
"Achieving efficiency in its programs and operations has long been one of government's most elusive challenges," said Gordon Heddell, Booz Allen Hamilton Senior Executive Advisor and former Inspector General of the Department of Defense. “Confidence in government's ability to perform its work efficiently; and to meet the needs of its citizens without increasing spending, exceeding budget, or making careless and costly mistakes is essential. During my time in government, I observed first-hand the vulnerabilities, as well as the solutions. Creating a government that works better and costs less can be achieved, but not without a strategic mindset and a realistic plan for dramatically improving the effectiveness and efficiency of government.”
Booz Allen’s strategic approach to addressing effectiveness and efficiency consists of a five-step framework that has been used across government to optimize mission performance, despite limited budgets:
1. Prioritize Mission Responsibilities and Goals: Agency activities should focus on essential mission requirements, taking into consideration missions driven by executive and legislative mandates and changing customer and stakeholder needs.
2. Establish a Human Capital Strategy: Agency leaders should use all available management options to create an agile workforce with the tools and capabilities to meet government’s changing requirements.
3. Leverage Emerging Information Technologies: Agencies should anticipate and plan for new solutions that can automate processes, support shared services, boost worker productivity, and deliver secure, high-quality services to customers.
4. Exploit Data Analytics Capabilities: This helps to improve visibility and performance management while enabling fact-based decisions to address fiscal and mission challenges.
5. Manage Change: Agency leaders can manage change through a multi-disciplinary change-management strategy that collaboratively engages employees and stakeholders, establishes performance measures to ensure progress and provides clear communications and support throughout the process.
Leaders from across Booz Allen with expertise in decision analytics, human capital, organization efficiency, and strategy and change management have come together to maximize investments in the people, processes, and technology that contribute to client missions.
More information about the firm’s Enterprise Effectiveness and Efficiency can be found here.
About Booz Allen Hamilton
Booz Allen Hamilton is a leading provider of management and technology consulting services to the U.S. government in defense, intelligence, and civil markets, and to major corporations, institutions, and not-for-profit organizations. Booz Allen combines deep technical knowledge with expertise in each client’s core mission to deliver proven results. Booz Allen is headquartered in McLean, Virginia, employs approximately 25,000 people, and had revenue of $5.86 billion for the 12 months ended March 31, 2012 (NYSE: BAH).