SAN DIEGO, Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As temperatures drop, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is reminding its customers about important safety tips to reduce the risk of CO poisoning.
Symptoms of CO poisoning can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death. SDG&E wants its customers to remember the following tips to help prevent CO poisoning:
- Never use a gas oven, portable barbeque or range for space heating.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or a CO leak from another source. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or SDG&E.
- Vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.
- Never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.
- If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately
- Visit sdge.com/safety for more information on staying safe.
SDG&E is a regulated public utility that provides safe and reliable energy service to 3.4 million consumers through 1.4 million electric meters and more than 850,000 natural gas meters in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The utility's area spans 4,100 square miles. SDG&E is committed to creating ways to help customers save energy and money every day. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego.
SOURCE San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E)