$80,000 benefits organizations in Colorado, Illnois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and Wyoming
SOURCE: Union Pacific
Omaha, Neb., December 19, 2012 /3BL Media/ – Union Pacific Railroad is helping keep eight food banks in its northern region states stocked during these tough economic times by contributing $80,000 - $10,000 to each - that will be used to purchase 1.6 million pounds of food, enough to fill eight boxcars.
"It's during tough times like these, and throughout our history, Union Pacific has assisted the communities in which we operate to help them through times of need," said Joe Bateman, Union Pacific Railroad's vice president of public affairs – Northern Region. "We are pleased to be able to once again help our neighbors."
Union Pacific's $10,000 contribution to each of the following will be used by each organization to purchase 200,000 pounds of food or the equivalent of 150,000 meals, which would take more than 1,200 grocery cart baskets to hold:
- Colorado – Food Bank of the Rockies;
- Illinois – Northern Illinois Food Bank;
- Iowa - Food Bank of Iowa;
- Kansas - Kansas Food Bank;
- Minnesota - The Community Action Partnership Agency Food Shelf;
- Missouri - The Food Bank of Central and Northeast Missouri;
- Nebraska - Food Bank for the Heartland and
- Wyoming – Needs, Inc.
+1 (402) 544-5459
KEYWORDS: union pacific, Railroad, transportation, freight, boxcar, Food Bank, Contribution