The latest news and events on CSR, human rights and supply chain management from Social Accountability International (SAI)
SAI's newsletter is a monthly online publication, covering the latest news from SAI including CSR and supply chain management insight from the field, SAI program updates from around the world, Social Fingerprint®, SA8000 certification statistics, upcoming events and training seminars, job opportunities, and more. The newsletter aims to provide readers with a glimpse into the impact of our mission, and its multi-stakeholder approach to achieving decent workplaces around the world.
Fire Safety & Prevention: Interview with Dundar Sahin
After visiting 17 factories in Pakistan, Mr. Sahin discusses his experience on the ground to assess the risk of fire and disaster readiness
Bangladesh & Pakistan: Tragic Fires Underscore Urgent Safety Needs
The recent fire at the Tazreen Fashions & Ali Enterprises draws further attention to dangers for workers in the South Asian garment industry
'The Human Price': Responses to the New York Times
The two-part series reported on some challenges of implementing voluntary standards & the complexities behind supply chain management- SAI & SAAS board members & peers respond
Spotlight: 'Pillars in Practice' Local Partners
SAI asks its local partners in Bangladesh, Nicaragua & Zimbabwe about the program's significance and potential human rights impact
Implementing the UN Guiding Principles for Business & Human Rights
Two-day Training Event - January 28-29, Utrecht, The Netherlands
SA8000 Auditor Training in Karachi
On November 12-16, SAI convened a Basic SA8000 Auditor Training course in Karachi, Pakistan. The course was led by SAI Lead Trainer, Richard Rowe.
- Siemens Integrity Initiative In early December SAI Executive Director Eileen Kohl Kaufman participated in the Advisory Board Meeting for the Transparency International-USA Verification of Corporate Anti-Corruption Programs. She also took part in the Steering Committee of Business Principles for Countering Bribery, and the Meeting of the UNGC Working Group on the 10th Principle.
- Rapid Results Institute - Foreign Policy's Top 100 Global Thinkers Congratulations to RRI's President Nadim Matta for making the list! Mr. Matta and the RRI developed the 100-day plan for development. RRI is a key partner in SAI's Brazil Worker Engagement Program. Read more @atfp.co/Wh78ox
- 1st UN Forum on Business & Human Rights SAI Representative Steven Oates participated in the Forum in Geneva on Dec. 4-5. The Forum was established as part of a Working Group to enable stakeholders from all regions to strengthen engagement towards the goal of the UNGPs. Learn more @bit.ly/UUhjw0
- GOTS Certified Training on Social Criteria On Nov. 29, and Dec. 7 & 13 SAI Field Services Director Doug DeRuisseau and Lead Trainer Shirley To presented a webinar for GOTS on auditing for labor standards, specifically focusing on management systems and child labor.
- EILEEN FISHER & California Transparency in Supply Chain Act In partnership with CAST (Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Trafficking) and Not for Sale, EILEEN FISHER hosted a discussion about business' collective responses to SB657, the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act.
SAI Advisory Board member Amy Hall, Director of Social Consciousness at EILEEN FISHER, was elected to the board of directors of the American Sustainable Business Council (ASBC). Ms. Hall also spoke at two apparel industry events in New York City: the Oeko-Tex Next 20 Event on November 14 and the Women's Wear Daily Global Sourcing Summit on October 2.
- "A Window to the Future/Uma Janela Para o Futuro" SAI Advisory Board member Helio Mattar, President of the Akatu Institute for Conscious Consumption, wrote an article on the need to change consumer awareness for sustainability. Read it in Portuguese @bit.ly/UKRkcB.
- USDOL Toolkit to Combat Child & Forced Labor in Global Supply Chains On December 14, the USDOL introduced 'Reducing Child Labor & Forced Labor: A Toolkit for Responsible Business,' a guide to help businesses combat child labor and forced labor in their global supply chains. Read it @1.usa.gov/SABo0f.
Social Accountability International (SAI)
KEYWORDS: Events, Conferences & Webinars, guidingprinciples, fire, Pakistan, Bangladesh, newyorktimes, newsletter, humanrights, csr, supplychainmanagment, pillarsinpractice, firesafety, dundarsahin, akut