SANTA ROSA, Calif., Dec. 13, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Want to take the stress out of holiday planning? Look no further than your smartphone – your ultimate shopping and cooking companion this season. According to Allrecipes' Holiday 2012 Trends Measuring Cup Report, mobile is the shining star this holiday season, with 40 percent of home cooks turning to their smartphones, tablets and mobile apps as their trusty meal planning resources, at home and while on-the-go.
In light of this growing trend, Allrecipes.com, the world's number one digital food brand with more than one billion annual visits, and the wine buffs at Kendall-Jackson, one of America's most beloved family-owned wineries, bring you two holiday meal planning resources that fit right in your pocket:
- Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner is the number one recipe app, with more than 40,000 delicious dishes to choose from. Search for recipes by ingredient or dish type, or give your phone a shake to find inspiration with the spinner. Create and save your grocery list for easy access on-the-go, and scan ingredients while in the grocery store to find the perfect recipe match. Dinner Spinner is available on iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and Kindle Fire.
- Kendall-Jackson's K-J Recommends app is your go-to wine pairing resource, with both wine suggestions by experts and recommendations from the social community. Pair wines by occasion with K-J's "Get Suggestions" feature, or tap into a new approach to food pairing using color and flavor cues in your garden-grown foods. K-J Recommends is available on both iPhone and Android.
With these pocketable tools, you become the holiday meal planning and entertaining expert. So what's for dinner? To help you stay up to date on the latest food trends, check out the top results from Allrecipes' recent surveys.
The Good, the Bad and the Weird, according to Allrecipes' Just a Dash 2012 Trends Recap.
- Some like it spicy! Very spicy, in fact. The number one rising hot food goes to Grilled Bacon Jalapeño Wraps, whose search is up 2,673 percent on Allrecipes.com. Use K-J Recommends to help you choose a complementary wine like a floral, fruit-laced Johannesburg Riesling that has a touch of sweetness to balance that heat.
- Healthy greens with a crispy twist. Up 133 percent this year is Kale Chips, an easy and distinctive way to add a veggie to your holiday meals. When toasted, you'll notice a black hue hidden in this kale, which goes well with the dark hues of red wine. Try a robust Cabernet Sauvignon to bring out the dense flavors in this healthy snack.
- Forget the potatoes! Try Mashed Cauliflower, up 122 percent this year for its similarities to our favorite smashed sensation. When mashed, cauliflower's subtle flavor and lovely texture is a great match for Chardonnay, which has an equally mild sensibility. Not to mention, the colors match; light, white cauliflower goes well with golden Chardonnay.
- Mushy mushrooms. Portobello mushrooms have declined in popularity, down 46 percent in recipe searches. But, if you're indeed a 'shroom fanatic, try Pinot Noir with a Mushroom Risotto! Chanterelles, Porcinis and other less intense mushrooms are a delight with the silky texture of Pinot. When you think autumn, think 'shrooms, vivid reds and Pinot.
- Tacky teriyaki. This sweet prep for chicken and beef is down 38 percent. For those who still enjoy a sweet 'n' savory meat dish, try Honey Baked Chicken with Zinfandel. The rich fruit and spicy elements of Zin are a great accompaniment to the sweet/salty flavors.
- No amoré for Cannelloni. This pasta shape is out, with a decrease of 31 percent. For stuffed pasta lovers, have no fear; you can still pair wine with your favorite sauce and Stuffed Shells. For a cream-based, light sauce, try Chardonnay; if you're into tomato-based, meat sauces, try pairing with a complex red like Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Hot Tamale Pie. Up 148 percent, this potluck favorite is great for the holiday season. Enjoy it with a robust Zinfandel. The rich fruit balances the tamale's spicy elements.
- Scrumptious Strata. This home-cooked favorite for breakfast or brunch is up 221 percent – people love this morning dish! When served for brunch, enjoy strata with a smooth Chardonnay.
Holiday Trends & Spends: get up to date with the latest in food news you can use.
- Holiday activities add up! Of those surveyed overall, 61 percent plan to spend more than $500 on holiday-related activities, such as food, travel and parties. By generation, there's quite a difference: Millennials and Baby Boomers are more conservative, with a majority planning to spend less than $500; while the bulk of Gen Xer's will splurge and spend more than $500.
- The Sweetest Potato. A large 75 percent of holiday feasts will include some kind of sweet potato dish – casseroles, pies and beyond. Make sure you have some Riesling on-hand, which will complement the sweetness of the potatoes.
- Social and Mobile Inspiration. The mass majority, 85 percent, of survey respondents will look to digital resources – mobile apps, social media sites and feeds – for holiday inspiration. Grab your smartphone to check out Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner for 'dishspirations' and download K-J Recommends for real reviews from their Facebook community.
Kendall-Jackson is one of America's most beloved family-owned and operated wineries. Founded by the late entrepreneur and visionary Jess Jackson and his wife Barbara Banke, Kendall-Jackson is based in Sonoma County and offers a range of acclaimed wines grown in the family's estate vineyards along the coastal ridges of California. A leader in sustainable vineyard and winery practices, including solar cogeneration, water conservation and natural pest control, 100% of Kendall-Jackson's vineyards in California are SIP (Sustainability in Practice) Certified and CCSW (Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing) recognized. Learn more online at KJ.com, and connect with K-J on Facebook and Twitter.
Allrecipes, the world's largest digital food brand, receives more than 1 billion visits annually from family-focused women who connect and inspire one another through photos, reviews, videos and blog posts. Since its launch in 1997, the Seattle-based social site has served as a dynamic, indispensable resource for cooks of all skill levels seeking trusted recipes, entertaining ideas, everyday and holiday meal solutions and practical cooking tips. Allrecipes is a global, multiplatform brand with 18 web and mobile sites, 16 mobile apps, and 14 eBooks serving 23 countries in 12 languages. Allrecipes is part of Meredith Corporation, the leading media and marketing company serving American women. For additional information regarding Meredith, please visit www.meredith.com. For additional information regarding Allrecipes, please visit http://press.allrecipes.com.
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
The following files are available for download: