Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/zfzbwp/case_management) has announced the addition of the "Case Management for Advanced Illness: Best Practices in End-of-Life Care" report to their offering.
Poor prognoses, the loss of functional capabilities, and the need for advanced care planning are just some of the emotionally charged challenges of caring for individuals with advanced illness.
Case Management for Advanced Illness: Best Practices in End-of-Life Care examines Aetna's Compassionate Care program, a case management approach for this population. The payor's initiative breaks down barriers commonly encountered in this highly sensitive stage of the health continuum while positively impacting both healthcare utilization and spend.
In this 30-page resource, Dr. Joseph Agostini, senior medical director, Aetna Medicare, shares the key features of the Compassionate Care Program at Aetna, along with the impact the program has had on healthcare utilization and quality outcomes.
He also answers a range of questions on the initiative, including the role of palliative care, strategies for educating and engaging both providers and patients in care management for advanced illness, transitioning patients to this stage of care management, and the ideal traits of the Compassionate Care case manager.
This resource provides details on the following:
- How providing information, tools and resources contributes to higher quality of care for those with advanced illness;
- Best practices and barriers that commonly arise during the care of advanced illness patients;
- Patient identification and engagement techniques, including the use of motivational interviewing to improve communication and goal attainment;
- How a member-centric system, which includes case management and other clinical assessments helps case managers address the holistic needs of the patients;
- Results from the program that illustrate the program's impact at the best intersection of quality and cost.
Key Topics Covered:
A Case Study on Aetna's Compassionate Care Program
- Defining Advanced Illness
- Medicare Spectrum of Care
- Decision to Pursue Palliative Care
- Goals of Aetna Compassionate Care Program
- 4 Ways to Identify Cases for Compassionate Care
- Case Manager Responsibilities
- 3 Barriers to Care Management of Advanced Illness
- Educational Opportunities
- Best Practices of Compassionate Care
- Outcomes and Results
The Case Manager Perspective: Survivorship Next Critical Challenge for Oncology Care Managers
Q&A: Ask the Experts
- Starting Point for Advanced Illness Care Coordination
- Physician Engagement in Advanced Illness Care
- Role of Palliative Care
- Transitioning Patients to End-Of-Life Care
- Patient Education in Compassionate Care
- Change Management and the Case Manager
- Program Engagement Rates
- Physician Training Collaborative
- Attributes of the Compassionate Care Case Manager
- Covering Home-Based Services
- Contracting with Community Care Providers
- Case Manager-Patient Interactions
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/zfzbwp/case_management