New York, NY, November 12, 2012 --(PR.com)-- Sexual abuse does not discriminate. Tyler Perry, Senator Scott Brown, Sugar Ray Leonard, NBA veteran Keyon Dooling, NFL football veterans Joe Ehrmann and Al Chesley, and legendary Rock Guitarist Carlos Santana are some of the brave men in the public eye who have recently stepped forward to reveal painful histories of being sexual abused. Their hope is that other male survivors will come forward when they realize they are not alone, that the abuse they endured was not their fault and that healing is possible for all survivors.
Today, the silence is slowly breaking. Never before has the issue of male sexual abuse been more in the headlines. This week, hundreds of male survivors and their partners in healing are coming together in New York City at the MaleSurvivor Conference.
What: The 13th International MaleSurvivor Conference will be held in New York City from November 15-18 at John Jay College. It is the only professional conference of its kind that brings together survivors, psychologists, social workers, academic researchers, members of the law enforcement community, and other partners in healing to share the latest information in the field and stories of resilience. Founded in 1995, MaleSurvivor is the oldest and pre-eminent nonprofit organization devoted to providing hope, healing and support to male survivors and their partners in healing. This year's conference is the 13th in the organization's history.
Who: Speakers and panelists include public figures, authors and experts, many of whom are survivors, including:
• Christopher Anderson, Executive Director of MaleSurvivor and abuse survivor
• Joe Ehrmann, former NFL player, founder Coach for America, and abuse survivor
• Dr. Howard Fradkin, author of JOINING FORCES: Empowering Male Survivors to Thrive (Hay House/Nov 2012) has counseled over 1,000 male survivors of sexual abuse. and founding board member of MaleSurvivor.
• Mitchell Garabedian, attorney who has represented survivors against the Catholic Church, the Boston Red Sox and currently representing a Sandusky survivor.
• Marci Hamilton, Paul R Verkuil Chair of Public Law at Cardozo Law School, author of Justice Denied: What America Must Do To Protect Its Children, currently representing a Sandusky survivor
• Matt Paknis, former assistant coach at Penn State, Brown and University of Rhode Island, board member, MaleSurvivor
• Victor Vieth, Director of the National Child Protection Training Center
When: Conference dates: Thursday, November 15-Sunday, November 18
Press Access* - Friday, November 15 & with special permission on other days
(*On Friday, November 15 survivors and experts will be made available for press throughout the day for interviews. )
Where: John Jay College 899 Tenth Avenue (58th + 59th) NYC
Contact: Beth Grossman / email@example.com / 212-949-4071 or
Curtis St. John / firstname.lastname@example.org / 914-447-0758
MaleSurvivor: National Organization against Male Sexual Victimization
Contact via Email
Curtis St. John email: email@example.com, phone: 914-481-2930
Click here to read the full story: Male Sexual Abuse Conference in New York City November 15-18 at John Jay College
Press Release Distributed by PR.com