PR Log - Aug 23, 2012 - The Emerald Coast is well-known for its spectacular white-sand beaches and sparkling waters. Each year, millions of visitors pour into Destin to spend days at a time on the beach. But what do you do when those sunny Gulf Coast days turn into thunderstorms? Here's our top 5 favorite things to do in Destin on a rainy day.
1. Go shopping at Silver Sands Factory Stores, where covered walkways stretching nearly a mile will guide you around the nation's largest factory outlet mall. Plus, several delicious restaurants, ice cream shops and candy stores dot the premises for tasty time-outs from this shopper's paradise.
2. Since you're already in a shopping mood, visit the Destin Commons, a popular outdoor shopping destination that offers plenty of indoor activities. Home to a huge Bass Pro Shop, Rave Motion Pictures with IMAX and Books-a-Million, there is something to keep the whole family occupied when skies are grey.
3. Go to Hurricane Lanes Entertainment Center, which features an arcade, Tucker Duke's Lunchbox catering and a 21-and-over pool hall. Hurricane Lanes is so much more than a bowling alley. Plus, with glow-in-the-dark bowling after 9pm, a daily happy hour and free pool Tuesdays and Thursdays, you may not even miss the beach!
4. Visit Fudpucker's of Destin, Fat Daddy's Arcade and Laser Tag -- favorites amongst vacationers rain or shine. Daily gator feedings at gator beach, live music and quirky decor all mingle with delicious food and drink for a fun-filled experience. Plus, in the same parking lot you'll find the new Fat Daddy's arcade and pizzeria in one building and Sunsations beach store and laser tag in another.
5. Explore HarborWalk Village, set picturesquely at the foot of the Destin bridge and famous for its spectacular Gulf views. You can escape the rain, watch the boats come in and enjoy a cool drink from the comfort of one of many waterfront restaurants. Then, enjoy live music under the covered stage pavilion, browse one of the largest art galleries on the Emerald Coast and look for that perfect Destin (http://www.gulflink.com/destin) souvenir in one of Harborwalk Village's shops.