Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, continues to add hundreds of popular, customer-requested new apps, another reason its highly acclaimed NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color devices are among the hottest gifts this holiday season. Building upon its portfolio of NOOK Apps, including Angry Birds, SCRABBLE, Netflix and thousands of others, the company announced the availability of the massively popular Words With Friends today, with Twitter coming soon, along with Plants vs. Zombies and many more to come early next year. New customers unwrapping a NOOK Tablet or NOOK Color this holiday season, as well as the millions of current NOOK owners, can shop for, download and enjoy newly added favorites including SCRABBLE single user edition, Office Gamebox, Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots, Jeopardy!, Wreck This App, Magic 8 Ball™ and Doodle Jump Christmas.
In addition to a selection of more than two million digital books, periodicals and interactive children’s books, NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color customers can take advantage of a rich collection of thousands of NOOK Apps (www.nookapps.com) in categories including Games, Kids, Travel, Education, Lifestyle & Interest, News & Weather, Social, Productivity and others. Barnes & Noble offers high-quality apps from leading third-party developers and content providers such as Electronic Arts, Zynga, Rovio, Sony, Mattel, Nickelodeon and more.
“For those who love to read and enjoy playing word and classic games, finding kid-friendly treasures, travel apps and more, NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color continue top holiday wish lists,” said Jamie Iannone, President of Digital Products, Barnes & Noble. “Customers can find thousands of popular NOOK Apps optimized for our brilliant 7-inch VividView™ touchscreen to keep them entertained, learning and exploring on our highly portable devices. We encourage holiday shoppers to visit one of our stores to experience some of our incredible apps on our award-winning devices. We’ll even gift-wrap your new NOOK device for free.”
NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color customers have easy access to a simple, organized way to discover and purchase apps – right alongside their favorite books, periodicals and more, and shop for and download in seconds over Wi-Fi. And there’s something for everyone, covering many interest areas. Some of the newest NOOK App additions include:
- Entertainment: Enjoy movies and TV shows through great entertainment apps such as Netflix, Flixster – which through the UltraViolet™ standard, allows consumers to access their digital movies and TV shows on the go. In addition to the Showtime® app, the new SHOWTIME series, House of Lies will also have its own companion, magazine-style NOOK App called “Stroke Your Genius: Marty’s Guide to Management Consulting.” For music lovers, there’s Pandora® internet radio pre-loaded, and everyone can enjoy millions of songs – including holiday playlists – with Rhapsody®, MOG, Grooveshark and many more. Plus, video rental and download services from leading providers will also be available to NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color customers early next year.
- Games: Those who love to get their game on will enjoy new additions that include Words With Friends, SCRABBLE single user edition, Jeopardy!, Office Gamebox, Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots, Mad GAB, Magic 8 Ball and Doodle Jump Christmas. Other recent additions include Azada, Atlantis Sky Patrol, Serpent of Isis, Roll in the Hole, Spider Jack, Brick & Bubble Revolution, Tower Bloxx My City and Vegas Casino Cruise. Coming soon, customers will also find Plants vs. Zombies and more.
- Children: Barnes & Noble’s youngest customers will be thrilled with new additions including the “I Can Read” app along with O Story Story – Wendy’s Giant List, TouchyBooks Moon Secrets, Once Upon A Potty (Boy and Girl versions), Tacky the Penguin, Tacky’s Christmas, Pat the Bunny, Biscuit Gives a Gift and more. With Balloonimals, kids can blow into NOOK Tablet’s built-in microphone and watch beautifully rendered Balloonimals spring to life and change shape with a shake. Fun apps featuring such well-loved characters as Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob SquarePants and the first-ever VeggieTales mobile app will also be available for the holiday.
- Travel and Weather: For those planning to travel this holiday season or in the New Year, the free Priceline Hotel Negotiator app will come in handy, along with a selection of 20 TripAdvisor® Mobile City Guides including San Francisco, London, New York City, Amsterdam, Hawaii and more. Random House Living Language French and AccuWeather Platinum are also great new NOOK App additions.
- Lifestyle: HSN fans can now enjoy making new purchases from their favorite shopping channel straight from the HSN Shop app. Fashionistas will also enjoy Style.com and Taptu Fashion. And the free Cozi Family Organizer is a favorite among busy families. Bring destructive creativity right to your fingertips with Wreck This App. Coming soon, everyone can keep up on the latest news in the Twittersphere via the Twitter NOOK App, and with The Bad Girl's Birthday Book app, keep track of birthdays and other important dates with attitude and style.
- Seasonal: ‘Tis the season for customers to find an extensive lineup of holiday-centric live wallpapers, themes, puzzles and so much more for the whole family.
Among the current bestselling paid NOOK Apps are various versions of Angry Birds, SCRABBLE, Drawing Pad, and Bejeweled 2. Top free apps include Fliq Calendar, Fliq Notes, NOOK Word of the Day™, Pulse News, Fliq Tasks, Springpad, Fandango Movies, Abbeys Free Decorative Wallpaper and Seesmic.
Barnes & Noble is making it easier to give the gift of NOOK Apps and other great content this holiday season to friends and family members with NOOK devices. With instant NOOK Book™ gifting, customers can visit www.bn.com to give any NOOK App or NOOK Book as gifts. New content is delivered instantly to recipients on their NOOK Tablet or NOOK Color device. In addition, NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color customers will also be able to apply their Barnes & Noble gift cards – physical or digital – while shopping on their devices.
NOOK Apps can be enjoyed on Barnes & Noble’s critically acclaimed Reader’s Tablets products, great for people who love to read and be entertained on highly portable device. At just $249, NOOK Tablet is Barnes & Noble’s fastest, lightest tablet, with a fast processor and 1GB of RAM for the ultimate app experience. The device also features a built-in microphone, lending more functionality to the immersive NOOK App collection. Apps can also be enjoyed on award-winning NOOK Color, now available at the incredibly low price of $199. With its largest ever software update, NOOK Color just got even better, with access to popular movies and TV shows through leading services, and faster, easier access to the world’s largest digital catalog of color and interactive content. Experience new NOOK Apps and devices at the NOOK Digital Shop™ or display in one of Barnes & Noble’s more than 700 bookstores across the country, or by visiting www.nook.com. For last-minute holiday shoppers, Barnes & Noble offers free expedited shipping on any NOOK order by today, December 22nd at 11:59 pm ET and get your NOOK delivered in time for Christmas at no cost.
About NOOK® from Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble's NOOK brand of eReading products makes it easy to read what you love, anywhere you like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to Barnes & Noble's expansive NOOK Store™ of more than 2.5 million digital titles, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices. The new NOOK Tablet™ is Barnes & Noble’s fastest, lightest tablet with the best in entertainment from top services and everything you want in a tablet at a great value ($249). Both NOOK Tablet and the award-winning NOOK Color™ ($199) feature a stunning 7-inch VividView™ Color Touchscreen to read all of the content you love, shop popular apps, connect via email, browse the Web and more. The NOOK Simple Touch™ ($99), is the fastest, easiest to use reader with the world’s best reading screen and the longest battery life. Barnes & Noble offers NOOK owners Always Free NOOK Support in any of its more than 700 bookstores, as well as free Wi-Fi® connectivity to enjoy the Read In Store™ feature to read NOOK Books™ for free, and the More In Store™ program, which offers free, exclusive content and special promotions. Barnes & Noble was the first company to offer digital lending for a wide selection of books through its LendMe® technology, available through NOOK eReading products. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.BN.com, as well as at Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Target, Radio Shack, Books-A-Million, OfficeMax, Fred Meyer, P.C. Richard & Son stores, Fry’s Electronics and Systemax Inc. retailers.
In addition to NOOK devices, Barnes & Noble makes it easy for customers to enjoy any book, anytime, anywhere with its FREE NOOK Reading Apps™, available at www.nook.com/freenookapps. Customers can use Barnes & Noble's free eReading software to access and read books from their personal Barnes & Noble digital library on devices including iPad™, iPhone®, iPod touch®, Android™ smartphones and tablets, PC and Mac®. Lifetime Library™ helps ensure that Barnes & Noble customers will always be able to access their digital libraries on NOOK products and software-enabled devices and BN.com. Barnes & Noble also offers NOOK Study™ (www.nookstudy.com), an innovative study platform and software solution for higher education, NOOK Kids™ (www.nookkids.com), a collection of digital picture and chapter books for children, and NOOK Books en español™ (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooksenespanol), the first-ever Spanish language digital bookstore in the United States.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 703 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, also operates 637 college bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through BN.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, which also features more than two million titles in its NOOK Bookstore™ (www.bn.com/ebooks). Through Barnes & Noble’s NOOK™ eReading product offering, customers can buy and read digital books and content on the widest range of platforms, including NOOK devices, partner company products, and the most popular mobile and computing devices using free NOOK software.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
NOOK®, NOOK Tablet™, NOOK Simple Touch ™, NOOK 1st Edition™, NOOK 1st Edition Wi-Fi™, NOOK Color™, Reader’s Tablet™, PagePerfect™, Best-Text™, Fast Page™, NOOK Books™, NOOK Store™, NOOK Bookstore™,NOOK Newsstand™, NOOK Magazines™, VividView™, ArticleView™, NOOK Newspapers™, NOOK Comics™, NOOK Cloud™, NOOK Apps™, FREE NOOK Reading Apps™, PubIt!™, NOOK Discover™, NOOK Kids™, Read and Play™, Read to Me™, Read and Record™, NOOK Digital Shop™, Read In Store™,More In Store™, NOOK Friends™, LendMe®, NOOK Library™, NOOK Boutiques™, The Barnes & Noble Promise™, NOOK Books en español™, NOOK Study™, Free Friday™, Lifetime Library™ and Read What You Love. Anywhere You Like™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. SCRABBLE is a trademark of Hasbro in the U.S. and Canada and used with permission. Plants vs. Zombies is a registered trademark of PopCap Games. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners.