TORONTO, Oct. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Travelzoo Inc. (NASDAQ: TZOO), a global Internet media company, announced today that it has launched its first iPhone app in Canada, giving Canadians on-the-go access to its outstanding travel, entertainment and local deals. The launch of the free iPhone app coincides with Travelzoo's fifth anniversary in Canada.
The new Canadian version of the Travelzoo iPhone app comes on the heels of successful launches in the United States and the United Kingdom, where it received positive reviews in both the Los Angeles Times and The Guardian newspapers, and has been downloaded more than 125,000 times. The app also has a 5-star rating in the Apple App Store in those countries.
"The new Travelzoo iPhone app gives users instant, on-the-go access to all of our outstanding deals," said Lara Barlow, Country Manager in Canada. "For example, if you are sitting in a coffee shop in Toronto and using the app today, you can instantly find and book VIP tickets for the Maple Leafs or a luxury Caribbean vacation."
The new Travelzoo iPhone app, which was named 'Consumer App of the Week' by The Guardian newspaper in the United Kingdom this week, includes five main features accessible from the home screen:
- Top 20® - This section highlights the famous Travelzoo Top 20, the definitive list of the week's best travel, entertainment and local deals. More than 250 Travelzoo Deal Experts research, evaluate and test thousands of deals, only publishing the best in the Top 20 to more than 24 million subscribers worldwide.
- Local Deals Near Me – This section highlights deals in the user's area based on the phone's GPS system. The app automatically detects the user's location to aggregate relevant dining, spa and entertainment deals. Travellers can search, book and redeem their Travelzoo Local Deals direct from their iPhone without having to print a voucher.
- Deals in Other Cities – Users can search and book entertainment, spa, hotel and dining deals in more than 75 cities worldwide. This tool is perfect for vacation planning or on-the-go searches.
- Travel Deals – This section highlights thousands of air, hotel, cruise and vacation deals published by Travelzoo each week. Users will be able to search deals by type of travel, view photos and link directly to the companies that provide the deals.
- Inspire Me – This section is designed to give users vacation inspiration through three visually-oriented tools: Photo Mosaic, Deal Roller and Deals on a Map. The Photo Mosaic allows users to select a deal based on a photo. The deal information will appear when the user scrolls over the photo. Resembling a roulette wheel, the Deal Roller is a fun way of viewing deals as they scroll on the screen. The Deals on a Map feature uses Google Maps to highlight hundreds of deals worldwide by location.
The launch of the Travelzoo iPhone app comes as Travelzoo celebrates five years in Canada. Travelzoo Canada now has 1.3 million subscribers and more than 500 Canadian travel and entertainment advertisers, including Air Canada, Cirque du Soleil, Sunwing Travel Group and Delta Hotels and Resorts. In 2011, the Travelzoo website (www.travelzoo.ca) ranks among the top ten travel websites in Canada according to Experian Hitwise.
For more information about Travelzoo Canada and to download the free Travelzoo iPhone app, please visit www.travelzoo.com/ca/iphoneapp.
Travelzoo Inc. is a global Internet media company. With more than 24 million subscribers in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific and 24 offices worldwide, Travelzoo® publishes deals from more than 2,000 travel, entertainment and local companies. Travelzoo Deal Experts review offers to find the best deals and confirm their true value. In Asia Pacific, Travelzoo is independently owned and operated by Travelzoo (Asia) Ltd. and Travelzoo Japan K.K. under a license agreement with Travelzoo Inc.
Certain statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements may include, but are not limited to, statements about our plans, objectives, expectations, prospects and intentions, markets in which we participate and other statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts. When used in this press release, the words "expect", "predict", "project", "anticipate", "believe", "estimate", "intend", "plan", "seek" and similar expressions are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Because these forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, there are important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements, including changes in our plans, objectives, expectations, prospects and intentions and other factors discussed in our filings with the SEC. We cannot guarantee any future levels of activity, performance or achievements. Travelzoo undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release. Travelzoo and Top 20 are registered trademarks of Travelzoo. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Travelzoo, North America