THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Sept. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Each year, thousands of Amgen staff generously devote their personal time, energy and talents to a variety of charitable organizations. To recognize these exceptional efforts, the Amgen Foundation today announced the 11 recipients of the 2011 Amgen Excellence in Volunteering Awards.
The Awards recognize staff in the United States (U.S.) and Puerto Rico who are making a difference in the communities where Amgen has a presence. The Amgen Foundation will award $5,000 to each nonprofit organization featured in the winning staff members' applications.
"Amgen values the commitment staff make to positively impact the organizations and causes they are passionate about," said Jean Lim Terra, president of the Amgen Foundation. "The Amgen Excellence in Volunteering Awards not only honor outstanding staff efforts, but also recognize nonprofits for the difference they make in our communities."
The recipients were selected by panels of internal and external reviewers based on impact of the applicant's volunteer efforts, frequency of volunteer activity and length of time committed, and a letter of recommendation from the nonprofit organization.
2011 Amgen Excellence in Volunteering Awards Recipients
- Cynthia Hartley, Research and Development, volunteer for Surfrider Foundation, Ventura
- Thomas Mullen-Hevey, Research and Development, volunteer for College Track
- Martha Mutomba, Scientific Affairs, volunteer for Munhu
- Deidre Parmenter, Global Strategic Sourcing, volunteer for Conejo Players Theater
- Vanessa Willems, Finance and Strategy, volunteer for American Cancer Society
- Kevin Tolley, Engineering, volunteer for WOW! Children's Museum
- David Echsner, Sales and Marketing, volunteer for Kentucky Engineering Foundation
- Stefan McDonough, Research and Development, volunteer for Squashbusters
- Wilma Suliveras-Ortiz, Human Resources, volunteer for American Cancer Society
- Erin Tetreault, Global Communications and Philanthropy, volunteer for Friends of Julie
- Christine Salstrom, Research and Development, volunteer for Eastside Domestic Violence Program
Click here to view complete details about the recipients.
As a part of the Amgen Volunteers program, the Amgen Excellence in Volunteering Awards recognize outstanding staff volunteers from Amgen's U.S. and Puerto Rico sites and field-based staff by providing a $5,000 award to each nonprofit organization featured in the winning staff members' applications. To be considered, Amgen staff were asked to complete an application with information about their volunteer efforts and provide a letter of recommendation from the nonprofit organization.
Amgen Volunteers is an Amgen Foundation program that connects staff members with local volunteer opportunities, and provides $500 Volunteer Service Grants to eligible nonprofit organizations for every 15 hours volunteered by Amgen staff. Since 2007, nearly $2 million has been contributed as a result of staff volunteer efforts in their local communities.
The Amgen Foundation also matches staff contributions to eligible nonprofit organizations. Since 1993, the Amgen Foundation has matched $26 million in staff donations, resulting in nearly $53 million of support to worthy organizations. In 2010 alone, more than 10,000 gifts were made by Amgen staff members; including the Foundation match, the community received more than $6 million to support their good work.
About the Amgen Foundation
The Amgen Foundation (www.amgen.com/citizenship/overview.html) seeks to advance science education; improve patient access to quality care; and strengthen the communities where Amgen staff members live and work. Since 1991, the Foundation has made more than $160 million in grants to nonprofit organizations throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and Europe that impact society in inspiring and innovative ways, and those that provide disaster relief efforts both domestically and internationally. Follow us on www.twitter.com/amgenfoundation.
Amgen, Thousand Oaks
Kristen Davis, (805) 447-3008 (media)