NEW ORLEANS, Feb. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Avon Products Inc. today officially announced a breakthrough anti-aging sun care collection -- ANEW Solar Advance with RepairShield™ Technology. The research behind this revolutionary line was unveiled at the American Academy of Dermatology's 69th annual meeting. The ANEW Solar Advance anti-aging sun care line not only provides superior protection against the sun's damaging rays with photostable broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection, but is also designed to repair skin cell sun damage.* Patented RepairShield Technology™ is designed to protect skin by stimulating its natural antioxidant defense system to fight free radicals and to repair by activating skin's natural repair process.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/avon/42980/
The core technology was presented in two studies during the AAD annual meeting. This is a culmination of more than 10 years of research that explored innovative ways to optimize the stability and thereby to help extend the protection capabilities of Avobenzone, an established UVA absorber and the ingredient most commonly used in broad spectrum sun protection products sold in the U.S.
- In the first study titled, "Photostability of Sunscreen Combinations Containing Avobenzone Exposed to Natural and Artificial UV Light" (P1012) Avon researchers discovered that combining two cosmetic skin conditioning agents -- Galangal Extract and Polyester-8 with model sunscreen systems containing Avobenzone, improves the photostability of Avobenzone. This is important because a limitation of Avobenzone is that it can undergo molecular changes that affect its protective properties.
- In the second study titled, "Mechanisms to Protect Skin Cells from UV Damage" (P3115) Avon researchers examined new ways to enhance the repair of UV-induced damage and to identify new mechanisms of protection against UV damage. Avon researchers identified a blend of phytochemicals and extracts that helped facilitate the reduction of UV-induced sun damage in skin cells by 50% in 24 hours, indicating the enhancement of the skin's natural repair process.* Study findings on skin cells also suggest that these ingredients can help stimulate the skin's own anti-oxidant enzymes and lower oxidative stress, thus creating an optimal environment for cell recovery.
ANEW Solar Advance with RepairShield™ Technology
The product line, that will be available in the U.S. in May 2011, will include:
- Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 45: This broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protective sunscreen dramatically reduces the appearances of wrinkles, while effectively protecting the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Available for $29.
- Sunscreen Body Lotion SPF 30: Get skin that looks dramatically tighter and more toned, and protect skin from sun damage with this protective broad-spectrum sunscreen. Available for $29.
- Sunscreen Body Mist SPF 28: This formula diminishes the look of discolorations, leaving skin looking more even-toned and firmer. The Mist is designed to provide your entire body with UVA/UVB protection against sun induced damage. Available in July 2011 for $34.
The products have received the official seal of recommendation from The Skin Cancer Foundation.
Meeting Women's Anti-Aging and Sun Protection Needs
"In my practice, I hear daily from women who want to enjoy more time outdoors, but are concerned about the sun's effect on their skin," said Cheryl Karcher, M.D., a noted board-certified dermatologist practicing in New York City and professional consultant for Avon. "ANEW Solar Advance is an ideal solution because it's an anti-aging sun care product that not only provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection; but is also formulated to repair skin cell sun damage."
"ANEW has pioneered anti-aging skincare breakthroughs for close to 20 years and that expertise combined with our research in sun protection has led us to these scientific findings," shared Anthony Gonzalez, Senior Manager, Avon Global Research and Development. "Our patented RepairShield Technology™ is a great example of how we have applied our extensive anti-aging expertise with profound understanding of sun care to deliver an effective product to help protect against and visibly reverse sun-induced damage to skin**."
All ANEW Solar Advance products are available exclusively through Avon Representatives. To locate an Avon Representative call 1-800-FOR-AVON or visit www.avon.com.
* Measured in reconstructed skin after UVB exposure equal to approximately 10 minutes of summertime sunlight at 40 degrees N lat.
**Based on consumer perception studies.
Avon Products, Inc.
Avon, the company for women, is a leading global beauty company, with over $10 billion in annual revenue. As the world's largest direct seller, Avon markets to women in more than 100 countries through approximately 6.2 million independent Avon Sales Representatives. Avon's product line includes beauty products, as well as fashion and home products, and features such well-recognized brand names as Avon Color, ANEW, Skin-So-Soft, Advance Techniques, Avon Naturals, and mark. Learn more about Avon and its products at www.avon.com.
SOURCE Avon Products, Inc.